Skip To Main Content

About Marquette High

Whether you are exploring Marquette High for the first time or have been a part of our community for a long time, I welcome you and thank you for your interest in our school.
 

Marquette High is a special place filled with amazing people who support every aspect of our existence to ensure the young men who come through our doors become "Christ-like men for others."

Marquette University High School is an all-boys, Catholic School in the Jesuit tradition. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) has been in the education business for more than 450 years. I am proud to say Marquette High has shared that successful history for more than 160 of those years. It is true that we are known for academic excellence, however, our commitment is to educating the whole person — the spiritual, emotional, intellectual, artistic, moral and physical.

Marquette High's commitment to faith, scholarship and community means we help young men develop not only their minds but also a personal relationship with God, an understanding of the world around them, and their responsibility to others. You can certainly find other schools that offer strong academic programs and good co-curriculars. Marquette offers both, but in addition, is committed to the moral and faith development of young men at a time we believe is most critical. That is what sets us apart.

A Marquette High education provides a strong foundation that allows our alumni to define success as being happy and "Men for Others." It teaches our young men to understand early in life that money and title can be the by-product of living a successful life, but not the measure. We want our alumni to flourish in their careers, but just as important be loving sons, husbands, fathers, brothers, uncles, and religious or community leaders.

Marquette High education creates a lifelong network of faith, community and career support for all our alumni and their families. It's what we do; it's who we are.

God's blessings,

Rev. Michael J. Marco, S.J.

"Marquette High education creates a lifelong network of faith, community and career support for all our alumni and their families. It's what we do; it's who we are."
Father Michael Marco

Rev. Michael J. Marco, S.J., President


Mission

Marquette University High School is a Catholic, Jesuit, urban, college-preparatory school for young men.

Marquette High strives to form leaders who are:

  • Religious
  • Loving
  • Seeking intellectual excellence
  • Committed to justice
  • Open to growth

Marquette High fulfills its mission by:

  • Providing a respectful, challenging and caring environment for a diverse community of students
  • Educating the whole person – spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, artistically, morally and physically
  • Deepening students' awareness of the dignity and needs of all people

Forming men for others who will act like Christ, who came "not to be served but to serve." (Mark 10:45)

Marquette High School History

Marquette University High School is known for its commitment to educational excellence in the Jesuit tradition and traces its roots back more than 165 years.

Founded as an academy for young men, the school was originally established to educate Catholic immigrants in their faith, to aid their families and the community by encouraging productive employment and civic involvement.

MUHS has evolved with each passing decade to meet the changing needs of the young men in our community and like our 17th Century namesake, Father Jacques Marquette, students, faculty and staff members share a passion for exploring uncharted territory, whether it's in a textbook or their own hearts.

In 1857, St. Aloysius Academy opened and was located at Second Street and Michigan Avenue in what is now downtown Milwaukee. In 1864, the students of St. Aloysius moved to a new building, and the school's name changed to St. Gall's Academy.

Hard times forced St. Gall's to close in 1872, but in 1881, a new Jesuit school opened "on the hilltop" at 10th and State Streets. It was named Marquette College but educated students beginning at age 14. Boys studied for a total of six years before receiving a college diploma. The first three years were the equivalent to a modern-day high school, but diplomas were only awarded after students completed the full six years, not for the first three "academy years."

The location of the building gave rise to the nickname we still bear - the Hilltoppers.

In 1907, the expanding academy and college were separated and the academy extended its courses to four years, after which a diploma was awarded, just as now. The college, now known as Marquette University moved to its present location, 12th Street and Wisconsin Avenue.

In 1922, Marquette Academy changed its name to Marquette University High School and moved to its present location at 3401 W. Wisconsin Avenue thanks to a major financial gift from the Johnston family by Ellen Story Johnston in 1925.

The contemporary gym building was added in 1961 where there had been a football practice field - dubbed "the rock pile" by generations of bruised athletes. Various interior modifications of the 1925 building have been made to accommodate the present enrollment. Rooms have changed functions many times, but through it all it a "jug room" has been preserved.

Late in 1986, the High School purchased the property adjacent to the school from the estate of Glen Humphrey for use as the Humphrey Athletic Field. The school also purchased the lot on 35th and Michigan Streets as an auxiliary parking lot. The Gordon Henke Center and the Emmett J. and Martha Doerr Library opened in 1994.

In 1998, Marquette High School dedicated Quad Park, a multi-use facility located at 38th and St. Paul. Thanks to the generous support of donors, with the lead gift coming from Harry '54 and Betty Quadracci, a $1.3 million dollar renovation occurred on this 10-acre site. Quad Park offers state-of-the-art soccer and track facilities.

The new millennium has brought more changes and upgrades. In 2000, all the classrooms on the fourth floor and two science rooms on the third floor were renovated with four new classrooms being created in the former third floor chapel. Bob Hansen '41, and his wife, Marie, and their family provided $1 million gift for the classroom renovations. A $350,000 grant from the Rose A. Monaghan Trust (Wally Schmidt '47, Trustee) was used to renovate the science classrooms, provide technology wiring and update the entire third floor corridor.

During the summers of 2001 and 2002, parking lots were expanded and beautified, and in 2003, the second floor was renovated as well.In 2008 the school launched the most ambitious construction project yet. The former Jesuit residence was razed and replaced with a two-story addition attached to the school that includes fine arts classrooms on the first level and administrative space on the second level. A new chapel called Three Holy Companions was built at the school's entrance. It's named for St. Ignatius Loyola, St. Francis Xavier and the Blessed Peter Favre, the men most associated with founding the Society of Jesus.

Additionally, the old third floor gym was renovated into science classrooms and labs and although state-of-the-art in their design, our alumni will be pleased to know that the memories of the old gym have been preserved by having its four walls remain untouched in these classrooms as a tribute to our past. Athletic areas and the chemistry labs were also renovated while central air conditioning was installed on the first and third floors.

In 2011, the Aldine Apartment buildings located just east of the school and purchased in 2008 by Marquette High, were closed and then demolished to make way for future school expansion. The cafeteria and kitchen also received major renovations during the summer of 2011.

Generations of teachers, students and benefactors have contributed to the heritage we now enjoy. Each generation in its turn is equally important in maintaining our spirit. We have a rich tradition in which we take great pride. It's important to realize the responsibility of adding to that tradition by striving to be Open to Growth, Intellectually Competent, Religious, Loving and Committed to Justice.

MUHS is privileged to be a part of a Jesuit educational system which includes colleges, universities and high schools. Marquette University High School is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the Jesuit Secondary Education Association.

The Catholic leadership qualities of both St. Ignatius, founder of the Society of Jesus, and Father Marquette are rooted in their faith, courage, vision and generous concern for others and continue to inspire us even today.