Marquette University High School founded in 1857, is a four-year college preparatory school for boys conducted by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). The curriculum is college preparatory only. MUHS is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
For College/University Admissions Officers - click here to view our College Counseling School Profile
Enrollment for 2023-2024
- 897 young men from more than 150 parochial, private and public grade schools and middle schools in five counties
- Freshman class enrollment 226
- Students of color enrollment 34%
- Non-Catholic student enrollment 24%
All course offerings with full descriptions can be found under Academics. MUHS offers a variety of Advanced Placement and Honors courses. In addition to the minimum academic requirement of 23 credits for graduation, all students must complete the Freshman Fitness Program, Freshman Retreat, Sophomore Retreat and 130 Service Program volunteer hours.
Because MUHS has selective admissions and a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum, a cumulative ranking system does not fairly and accurately represent a student's relative achievement. Therefore, MUHS does not rank its students.
- The mean GPA for MUHS students is 3.26.
- The MUHS 5-year ACT score average is 26 with 100% of the class taking the test.
- During the past three years, MUHS has had the following National Merit Scholar average:
- 10 National Merit Finalists
- 10 Semi-finalists
- 5 Commended Seniors
- 85 Total Number of Faculty
- 4 Jesuit Faculty and Administrators
- 27 Lay Women
- 48 Lay Men
- 47% of the faculty have taught 10 or more years at MUHS
- 75% hold a master's degree or higher
- Faculty to Student Ratio - 1:11
- Average Class Size - 21
Typically 97% of MUHS graduates go on to attend a four-year college or university.
2021 National Blue Ribbon School
Marquette University High School is among an elite group of 23 private schools in the United States and the only Wisconsin high school recognized as a 2021 National Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
This is the highest honor given by the U.S. Department of Education. MUHS is honored in the Exemplary High Performing category for academic performance.
The coveted National Blue Ribbon Schools award affirms the hard work of educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.